Community Cook Roberto Prepares Caponata
Roberto originates from Naples and West Bromwich. He loves to share his passion for cooking healthy, tasty Italian (and other) food on a budget.
1 punnet of cherry tomatoes
1 medium sized onion sliced
1 yellow pepper
A handful of olives
- Slice the onions and chop the washed cherry tomatoes into half
- Wash and dice the aubergine, courgettes and peppers into bite sized pieces. Remove the seedy centres.
- Cover the base of a sautoir pan (wide like a frying pan and about 2 - 3 inches deep with a lid) with olive oil. No more than 1 tablespoon is required.
- Turn the heat on low to prevent the olive oil from burning.
- Add the onion and chili flakes. Italian food is generally quite subtle when it comes to spice.
- Add the chopped veg and cover the pan so vegetables can cook gently in olive oil infused steam for up to 45 minutes.
- Stir veg every 10 minutes. At 30 minutes add about 10 drops of balsamic vinegar and some chopped olives. Black olives are preferable but green acceptable.
- This can be eaten as a side, on top of your favorite pasta or even on some toasted Italian bread such as bruchetta.
To take part in Healthy Italian cookery classes, please complete a form and we will send you relevant information.
Please login first in order for you to submit comments